Connect with us

Health

4-Year-Old Girl Nearly Goes Blind after Too Much Use of Gadgets

These days wherein smartphones are getting cheaper and the internet is readily available, even kids have their own gadgets. Even kids as young as 1 year old are given gadgets by their parents, mostly to keep them well-behaved and quiet while their parents are busy.

While it is true that using gadgets does keep these kids quiet, keeping them in one spot several minutes (even hours!) at a time, this has harmful effects on their health!

Photo credit: Dachar Nuysticker Chuayduang / Facebook

One dad recently shared the sad fate of his daughter who nearly went blind after using too much gadgets.

Dachar Nuysticker Chuayduang shared photos of his 4-year-old daughter, taken after surgery.

Photo credit: Dachar Nuysticker Chuayduang / Facebook

According to Chuayduang, his daughter began using gadgets as early as age 2. He would let her use his iPad and smartphone for hours on end. Sadly, the kid got would get angry when Chuayduang would get the gadgets; thus, they would often just let her use the gadgets for as long as she wants.

But while the kid would be at peace for hours, she began to develop problems with her eyesight. They noticed that she would squinting her eyes. Then, she developed ‘lazy eye’. This means that one eye does not develop properly; thus, this affected eye relies more on the ‘good’ eye for vision. This leads to one eye, the affected one, becoming ‘lazy’ and would just move in a different direction as the ‘good’ eye.

Photo credit: Dachar Nuysticker Chuayduang / Facebook

Even with these vision problems, however, Chuayduang continued letting his kid use gadgets. But as the condition worsened, he finally brought her to an eye doctor.

At the tender age of 4, the kid had to undergo surgery to correct her vision problems. They were told that the child was close to getting blind! Thankfully, it was not too late for the kid.

Photo credit: Dachar Nuysticker Chuayduang / Facebook

But Chuayduang hopes that this would be a lesson for other parents so their kids won’t have to undergo the same experience as his daughter.

Health

After Going Viral, Man Who Uses Bamboo as Artificial Leg Finally Gets Prosthetic Leg

Just last week, netizens took pity on a man who uses bamboo as artificial leg. But thanks to going viral, he now has a prosthetic leg so he could walk better! Wow.

It all began when Sheena Ituriaga Gallego saw 24-year-old Darius Senillo while they were both riding a jeep in Iloilo City, central Philippines. A native of Lambunao, Iloilo, Darius was in the city to visit his elder brother, Danny Senillo.

See: PWD Who Made Artificial Leg Using Bamboo Goes Viral after Fellow Passenger Shares Photo

Photo credit: Rated K / YouTube

Just like Sheena, a lot of netizens took pity on Darius and hoped that someone could help him get a prosthetic leg, especially after learning that he had actually been using the bamboo leg for over 4 years.

Lucky for Darius, the post went so viral that it would reach “Rated K”, the ABS-CBN News and Public Affairs program hosted by Korina Sanchez-Roxas.

Photo credit: Rated K / YouTube

In an interview with Rated K, Darius admitted that he felt bad while growing up because he was the subject of a lot of bullying. There were times when other kids would kick his crutches to make him fall to the ground.

As an adult, he tried his best to find a job so he wouldn’t be a burden to his family, especially to Danny who promised their late parents he would take care of his younger brother.

Photo credit: Rated K / YouTube

Darius worked as construction worker for 8 months but quit because the work was too heavy and too much for his body. Though he tried hard to endure the pain and difficulties in the manual work, he quit when he fell while carrying a heavy sack of cement.

Photo credit: Rated K / YouTube

The Rated K team brought Darius to Manila where doctors diagnosed him with Amniotic Band Syndrome, a congenital disorder. He was fitted with a prosthetic leg at OrthoCare – and could now walk safer and better with his new artificial leg.

Photo credit: Rated K / YouTube

Watch the heartwarming story here:

What are Crutches?

Crutches are special equipment made to assist in a patient’s mobility. Used by people who could not walk or have limited use of their legs due to an injury or a congenital condition, the device transfers weight from the legs to the person’s upper body to allow him/her to walk.

Continue Reading

Health

Mom Angry at Son for Wasting ‘Baon’ Discovers He’s Saving it for Eye Check Up

As parents, we all want to give the best to our children – even if that means giving the last money in our pocket as their ‘baon’ (allowance) for school so they can have something to eat while learning their lessons.

One mom in Uson, Masbate was often angry at her son for bringing him a clean bowl from school because she thought he was wasting his ‘baon’ that was supposed to pay for soup. She discovered one day that he was actually saving his money so he could undergo an eye check up!

Photo credit: Crisalyn Moreno / Facebook

Crisalyn Moreno shared a video of how she discovered her son’s heartbreaking money stash. One day, she asked him what he buys with his money for soup, thinking that he might be using the Php10 ‘baon’ she gives him to buy junk food.

Photo credit: Crisalyn Moreno / Facebook

Though the kid often kept quiet when his mother gets angry every time he goes home with the clean soup bowl, he would finally admit to her that he was not actually wasting his money. Instead, he was actually keeping it in a stash inside a bag in his closet.

Photo credit: Crisalyn Moreno / Facebook

Surprised about the money, Moreno asked where he got the roll of money. Her heart broke upon hearing him explain that most of the time he did not buy soup because he wants to save money for his eye check up.

Photo credit: Crisalyn Moreno / Facebook

According to Moreno, her son is blind on one eye and had often asked them to bring him to a clinic to have the eye checked. The boy had lots of plans for the future, saying he would find a good job and buy his parents a car, but was worried he would not be able to do that because of his eye.

Photo credit: Crisalyn Moreno / Facebook

Moreno helped her son count the money he saved – and it reached Php75. The mom praised her son, but her heart broke knowing her son did not eat snacks for many days just so he could start saving for his eyes…

Watch the video here:

SORRY ANAK!!!!Nakaka durog nman Ng puso ang anak ko 😢 pinapagalitan ko lagi pag nkikita kong malinis Ang tasa niyang dinadala sa school dahil inisip ko binibili niya lng Ng Kung ano2x Ang bnibigay Kong 10 araw2x para sa soup niya….Un pala iniipon na niya para mapa check up na ung mata niya 😭Matagal na niyang tinatanong sa akin Kung paano daw siya makakapagtrabaho Ng magandang trabaho pag laki niya gayong bulag nman Ang Isa niyang mata😭 baka d daw siya tanggapin paano niya daw kami mabibilhan Ng sasakyan Ng papa niya. Ang dami nga daw Ng aasar sa kanya na bulag at duling siya😭😭Ang sakit2x sa pakiramdam na wala akong maisagot Kung paano nga ba ang kinabukasan niya pagdating Ng araw😥

Posted by Crisalyn Moreno on Saturday, 27 July 2019

Can a Blind Person Still See?

Depending on the condition, a blind person can still see with medical intervention. Eye surgery is often necessary for that to happen, but new developments in medicine show promise of better ways to help a blind person see without needing surgery.

Continue Reading

Health

Excessive Drinking of Milk Tea Sends This Lady to the Hospital with Extreme Stomachache

Some weeks ago, a girl from China was hospitalized after hundreds of milk tea pearls were stuck, undigested in her stomach and intestines. But it seems that she is not the only one suffering from ill effects brought by excessive drinking of milk tea.

Jeff Nortez Serrano shared the story of how she was hospitalized due to extreme stomachache from drinking milk tea all the time. She also shared that she loves eating spicy food. The combination of spicy food and milk tea she frequently consumes sent her to the hospital.

Photo credit: Jeff Nortez Serrano / Facebook

According to Serrano, she had enjoyed a cup of milk tea and some spicy food on Sunday afternoon, as was usual to her, when she felt sick that night. On Monday morning, she was already running a fever, but it was only that night that she began experiencing stomach pain.

The pain was so intense and would not go away even with the usual medications she takes for stomachache. She was rushed to the ER where she was given several injections to ease the pain.

At the hospital, she learned that the combination of spicy food and milk tea had nearly put her life in danger. While she was discharged the following day, Serrano was warned not to take these food items again. She was given a strict diet to follow, with lots of forbidden food, to prevent this from happening again.

Photo credit: Jeff Nortez Serrano / Facebook

Though it was painful, Serrano was still thankful that the problem was discovered and her condition treated before her stomach suffered further damage. She’s willing to follow the diet as she does not want a repeat of her experience at the ER.

What is Milk Tea?

Photo credit: Oqmilteashop [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Milk tea is a popular drink that originated from Taiwan. Also known as the bubble tea, this cold tea-based drink contains milk and sugar, with additions like tapioca balls (known as ‘pearls’), puddings, fruit jelly, agar jelly, and other items that make the drink more tasteful.

Continue Reading

Trending